Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Homework

While at home, I've been taking a few classes in order to stay busy and pick up re-licensure credits. It has been an invaluable experience for a few reasons. First, I am reminded of what a procrastinator I can be. There's nothing like being jolted to this fact when you're typing a paper that needs to be emailed to the prof in twenty minutes.

Secondly however, is how I have become more critical of my assignments. For instance, I took a geology class online where I had to write a paper each week. As I researched the first assignment, I kept saying to myself - "This is crap!" The professor wanted a thorough paper from me, but didn't seem to want to put in the effort to be specific on what he wanted. After writing it and submitting it, the prof returned the "paper" (no trees were harmed in the writing of the paper) ended up having too much information, but not enough of the information that he wanted (but wasn't specific enough to ask for in the first place). I could go on.

So, what happens when you get an assignment and you don't see the reason? Not one of those "When are we going to use this?" reasons, but "What, exactly, do you want from me?" or "How does this tie in with the objectives of the unit?" or even "This is busy work - don't dump this on me!" What are your options? Does your teacher respond to criticism (no matter how you package it.)? Will they respect your request?

No comments: